Saturday, April 3, 2010

About Exercise

I have a goal (completely separate from weight loss) to be moderately fit. I don't plan to be a triathlete, but I would like to climb the hill near my house without being sore for a week. In the past, I have approached this goal with strict and strenuous workout schedules requiring me to wake up before the sun. If my body doesn't ache than my head does for lack of sleep. My efforts last 7 to 10 days, and then I come down with a cold.

Since that has never, ever worked for me, my approach this time is different. My new approach is gentle, to say the least. I walk on the treadmill, and I don't judge myself for my snail's pace. I don't have goals for how many miles I must complete or how long I must workout. When I feel like working harder, I do. When I need to take it slower, I do.

I listen to mood-boosting music, and I sing along with Taylor Swift or I pump my arms and dance. (I can do this without public humiliation because I have a treadmill at home.) By the end of 20 or 30 minutes, I feel good, happy, optimistic. I feel like exercising is something I would want to do again because I have removed all of the punishment from it. And if I can keep exercise from being punishing, I might be able to reach my goal.

2 comments:

Trisha Q April 3, 2010 at 4:47 PM  

Christina, I think your exercise regime is great! The tendency is overdue it and get discouraged. After Michael, my running went to walking and it took me, goodness almost a full 8 months to get back to jogging. I was a hard core runner. You're doing fantastic!!!

Lucarotti April 4, 2010 at 4:53 PM  

I have heard you singing. Ah, probably good that you are indoor,

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP