Wednesday, May 12, 2010

In The Hospital ...

It’s really hard to say how things are going, but these things, I don’t want to forget:

I said, “Grandma, I’m sorry, there are no game shows on TV. I’ll have to put on a talk show.” She replied, “I’m bored.”

Later, when we were leaving, she overheard me ask my grandfather where his cane was. When she realized he had misplaced it, she insisted (repeatedly) that we show it to her before heading home. “Don’t leave without showing me the cane,” she said.

At one point, she was awake enough to have a real visit with my grandfather. I’m glad I wasn’t in the room because the thought of it breaks my heart. John said my grandpa would say, “Honey, remember when we bought the house? Remember how exciting that was?” She squeezed his hand, and he said, “Oh, I love it when you do that.” And she did it again.

2 comments:

T May 13, 2010 at 7:12 AM  

What love and devotion your grandparents have for each other. I can't imagine how hard this is for both of them.

My love and prayers to them and the rest of the family.

Nonna May 13, 2010 at 7:22 PM  

I hang on every word. Every story. They're a precious inspiration for all of us.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP