Friday, April 6, 2012

Good Friday

When I was a teenager, and even into my twenties, I always thought the women crying at the Good Friday service were so holy.
It's not a competition or anything. But, as a young person, you see someone moved to tears at the sight of the cross and you think that person must really know Jesus. You wonder if you'll ever feel that personally connected to Christ's suffering.
(Maybe not all teenagers think these thoughts, but I hung out with a church-going crew.) 
Anyway, tonight I was watching people as they went up to the altar to venerate the cross.
The whole community goes. Some people kneel for a moment. Some touch the cross. Some kiss the cross.
It's been awhile since I've thought about who might be holier than who.
What does it even matter?
God is the Holy One. We're just lucky He loves us.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP