Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Acts of Hope

Frances: This house has three bedrooms. What if there's never anyone to sleep in them? And the kitchen, what if there's never anyone to cook for? I wake up in the night thinking, "You idiot. I mean, you're the stupidest woman in the world. You bought a house for a life you don't even have."
Martini: Why did you do it, then?
Frances: Because I'm sick of being afraid all the time and because I still want things. I want a wedding in this house, and I want a family in this house.
Martini: Signora, between Austria and Italy, there is a section of the Alps called the Semmering. It is an impossibly steep, very high part of the mountains. They built a train track over these Alps to connect Vienna and Venice. They built these tracks before there was a train in existence that could make the trip. They built it because they knew someday the train would come.
~ Under the Tuscan Sun

I kind of doubt grand acts of hope ever hurt anyone, but I've never been daring enough to make them. I don't buy houses for a life I don't have or build tracks for a train that doesn't exist, but I want to change that.

1 comments:

John July 11, 2012 at 11:09 AM  

Just to be clear, you want us to buy a house?

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP