Sunday, February 24, 2013

Sickies

The office has been swarming with cold and flu bugs.
A few weeks ago, one of my colleagues literally started throwing up at work. Another has been sick for more than 2 weeks, the result of which has been a visible slim down.
My immune system usually fights like a ninja, but on Friday I came home coughing, which quickly turned into a sore throat, which then turned into congestion and a runny nose.
(After being around all these sickies, I am lucky to just have a cold.)
Anyway, I called my sister for a remedy, and she recommended turnip soup. She says turnips are nature's version of amoxicillin. I say that's worth a try. Here's the recipe:

Turnip Soup
32 ounces broth of your choice (I used vegetable)
2 turnips
1-2 small potatoes (optional)
2-3 cloves of garlic
1 lemon
spinach
a pinch of saffron
salt & pepper to taste

Peel and chop the turnips, potatoes and garlic. Then boil them in the stock with the juice of one lemon and half its rind and a pinch of saffron (a little goes a long way). Cook until turnips and potatoes are fork tender, maybe 20 to 25 minutes. Serve with spinach on top. The hot soup will wilt the spinach. Season with salt and pepper if necessary. Enjoy and feel better.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP