Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Life is Both

Twice tonight while talking to two different people, I thought about a book I read in my early 20s and the idea of joy and sorrow sharing the same breath.
Only two lines are underlined in my copy of, "The Lessons of Love," by Melody Beattie.
One is at the beginning of the book:
"Life isn't just mysterious and unpredictable, it can be unbearably cruel and breathtakingly wondrous, sometimes at the same time."
The second is at the end:
"I didn't have to scramble up and down the ladder from despair to euphoria anymore, trying to convince myself that life was either painful and terrible or joyous and wonderful.
The simple truth was that life was both."
I'm not sure exactly why these words spoke to me when they did. But I think they are true. Life is both, but it's mostly good.

1 comments:

Queen Bee March 6, 2013 at 6:10 AM  

I love that last quote.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP