Friday, August 23, 2013

The Shift

I am now 39 weeks pregnant. Up until this point, I think I've overlooked the fact that sometime in the next two weeks a newborn baby is going to come home with me and John. She will be solely our responsibility. 

Don't get me wrong. We are not completely unprepared. Our hospital bag is at least halfway packed. The carseat is in the car. Her room is filled with diapers and clothes. And yesterday we chose her pediatrician. 
But when it comes to the care and feeding of an infant, John and I know very little. 
For months, I have been preparing myself mentally for the hard and unpredictable work of labor. Somehow, I think I forgot to prepare myself for the hard and unpredictable work of parenthood. 
The good news is I'm kind of an expert at cramming. 

4 comments:

Trisha Q August 24, 2013 at 6:51 AM  

You forgot the one thing that is most important that you and John are expects in..... LOVE! This is going to be the most loved baby girl.

You guys will get the other things.

Doni Chamberlain August 24, 2013 at 9:32 AM  

Follow your instincts, Christina, and you'll be fine.

Nicole August 24, 2013 at 2:03 PM  

If we're being honest here....there really is now way to prepare for the hard work of parenting! You take it one day at a time, and ask for God's wisdom and mercy and patience daily (if not hourly). For me, there are many days that have ended with tears, but MANY more days have ended with an exhausted smile. You two are way more prepared than you even know. I think you are going to be surprised by how much of this parenting thing is going to feel a bit instinctive! I am so excited to witness the love between the three of you!

LovestoEat August 25, 2013 at 3:42 PM  

I love the title of this blog: The Shift. You have no clue how appropriate it really is because there really is a Shift.....the day shift, the night shift and the exhausted shift! You'll do fine just like the rest of us that waited to love our little bundle(s) of joy. May God bless you and your family :^)

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP